Monster Horns

Memorial Day marks the start of my Halloween build and I'm happy to report that my work is coming along. As I've mentioned before, this year's theme – Monster House – is a completely new build in a scale that I'm not used to working it. It'll be HUGE so basically taking over the entire garage. I started with the horns that will be sitting on the roof. After some measuring and feedback, I decided these horns will be about 45" tall and about 85" in circumference to be just noticeable on the house. They'll stand out in the darkness with a little fluorescent paint and complementary lighting.

The horns will sit on a gabled roof but we often have very high winds. So I engineered a sectional wood frame (easier to carry in sections to the roof) that would use gravity, a non-skid backing, a few bricks and some rope to stay put on the roof. Plus horns have a rather aerodynamic shape.

To build, I used chicken wire frame along with PVC pipe to support the shape. I covered the whole thing with a crosshatch of masking tape (to help attach the plaster medium) and then laid a plaster cloth as a based instead of my usual paper mache. The process went much faster and easier and resulted in a rather stiff shape with only 1 coating.

The Active brand plaster cloth (available on Amazon for about $16) is new to me but I would highly recommend it. The cloth is embedded with plaster and comes in a giant roll. You easily trim it to any size or shape, dip it in water, and immediately lay it onto your shape. You can them smooth it out, shape it, or give it texture. It sets quickly so you have to work fairly fast. It takes paint very well.

So here is where I am now. I still need to add a few more layers, add the finishing texture, paint them, and then seal them with spar urethane to ensure they stand up to weather (which for us in Northern CA is just light to medium rain in October). I'm not sure where I will store these for next year but that's a November problem.